Square Foot/Intensive Gardening/Desert veggie gardening, keep out birds, rabbits

Heather in Aliante wrote at 2015-07-06 05:45:10
I too am in the desert in N. Las Vegas and have trouble with the same quail and rabbits.  U purchased a folding utility table 8' from Staples for $70 and use Deer-X netting ($21 or so?) 7' x 100'which I cut to size as needed, putting smaller pieces over seedlings on top of table and wrap a 3' tall piece of cut netting around the table on bottom, securing with the weight of the planted pots "inside the fence".  It seems to be working so far.  The netting is extremely strong and nearly invisible from a distance so not too unsightly.  I used to use it with garden staples (pieces of bent wire such as cut sections of wire coat hangers to secure at bottom in regular soil...completely kept the rabbits out.  Birds will get tangled in it.  

Square Foot/Intensive Gardening

Mike Mascio

I have been an avid gardener since 1985 and an AllExpert volunteer since 1998. I specialize in soil preparation, seed starting and plant propagation, flowers, vegetables, and general landscaping. I am a strong advocate of the square foot method of gardening and the use of organic controls for pests and diseases.