Squash & Racquetball/Hinder question

Question
Hinder position
Hinder position  
Hello Rob,

You see Y (yellow) and B (blue) player on the picture.

Y hits the ball that goes to front wall (1), reflects to left side wall (2), then right side wall (3), then it goes back wall (4) and towards a left side wall (5).

At the time when the ball hits the right side (3), the other player B wants to hit the ball and while moving towards his right (see blue dots) collides with the player Y and stops the game calling a HINDER and asking for a replay.

Player Y argues that player B must have figured out that the ball was still traveling towards back wall (4) and further (5) and player B would've  had a good opportunity to continue the game if he waited for the ball and hit it then (after 4), instead of rushing for the ball on step (3) and avoid collision with player Y.

WHO IS RIGHT?

Answer
Wow. If I could grade questions, your's would get an 11 out of 10. THANK YOU FOR THE DIAGRAM.

At first, when I read the question without looking at the diagram, I thought this was going to be difficult to answer because I couldn't really follow the flight of the ball. The diagram makes it crystal clear.

The answer: Player B is correct. The player on defense (Player Y) doesn't get to tell the player on offense when s/he should or shouldn't cut it off. The key thing here is that Player B made some (any) kind of attempt to go for the ball as it traveled from point 2 to point 3. Player Y's argument falls flat because it assumes that Player B would have prior knowledge of where the ball will go. I agree that if you've played long enough that you have an idea where it will end up. But this doesn't negate the fact that Player B, while playing on offense, can choose to cut it off at any point. However, **if** Player B made no attempt to go for the ball in the direction diagrammed on the image (by the dotted line), I could definitely see Player Y's point and rule in his favor.(My advice to player B - if that exact situation happens again, cut it off at a 45 degree angle in front of him (perpendicular to the dotted line on the diagram) and shoot the ball to the rear left corner.)

Hope this helps. Have a good weekend. And thank you for the diagram!

Squash & Racquetball

Rob Chabot