Squash & Racquetball/Hinder question

ball movement
ball movement  
You see Y (yellow) and B (blue) player on the picture.

Y hits the ball that goes to front wall (1), reflects to left side wall (2), then right side wall (3), then it goes back wall (4) and towards a left side wall (5).

At the time when the ball hits the right side (3), the other player B wants to hit the ball and while moving towards his right (see blue dots) collides with the player Y and stops the game calling a HINDER and asking for a replay.

Player Y argues that player B must have figured out that the ball was still traveling towards back wall (4) and further (5) and player B would've  had a good opportunity to continue the game if he waited for the ball and hit it then (after 4), instead of rushing for the ball on step (3) and avoid collision with player Y.

Hi Boris, I'm the squash expert.  Rob Chabot is the racquetball expert.  I can tell you what would happen in squash (fairness is applied in both sports). Because B is the striker, Y is required to give B direct access to the ball after Y's shot has struck the front wall.  B is not obligated to wait for Y to clear.

See http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Racquetball/How-To-Play/Rules.aspx

The rule in question here is 3.15 "Penalty Hinders".  I didn't see anything about having to wait for your opponent to clear. If that were the case then players could prevent their opponents' direct access to the ball at any time and say that their opponents must wait for them to clear until the ball hit the back wall. I think that would quickly lead to chaos!

Let me know if you find out from Rob.  I'd be interested to know what he says.  Thanks.

Hunt Richardson
US SQUASH National Referee Assessor/Instructor

Squash & Racquetball

Volunteer to answer any questions about squash. Club Head Squash Professional in Washington, DC since 1990. I do NOT handle racquetball inquiries. Please contact expert ROB CHABOT about RACQUETBALL.

23 years of private and group coaching experience, all skill levels. Taught about 20,000 lessons. Head Squash Professional at major squash clubs in Washington, DC. Head Referee, College Squash Association National Championships, 4 years. Have officiated matches involving all of the world's top players for 15 years. Lifetime experience in fitness, cardio, strength & flexibility training, and injury prevention. Head Coach, Tiger High School Squash Program (Washington, DC).

Vice President of Tournaments and Director of Officiating, National Capital Squash (District Association of US Squash)

Currently writing a book titled "On Learning Squash" about how different people learn squash and how the human body functions mechanically to impart energy to the ball, and how to move efficiently when playing (not merely about how to play or do drills).

Bachelor of Arts, Princeton University. US Squash National Referee. Referee Instructor & Assessor. Working toward WSF International Referee certification. Pursuing NASM Fitness Trainer certification. Certified in CPR/AED and First Aid.

Two US national league team titles, 3 intercollegiate team titles, former #12 in US Men's A Singles, top 5 in multiple national age groups. Dunlop Advisory Staff Coaching Award, National Capital Squash President's Award for Service, Spirit and Sacrifice.

Have given about 20,000 lessons to people from all walks of life