Squash & Racquetball/Cutthroat hinder

Question
On a game of cutthroat during a rally player A (server) hits the ball to the left side and player B lets the ball go passed him. Player A moves about 2 ft. behind him and to the right of player B as the ball rebounds off the wall I lose sight of it as I have a play on it. I called hinder but player A argues that was not a hinder because player B had the option of hitting the ball. Is player A right I canít call a hinder because it wasnít my ball to hit? I have not heard of such rule but need to clarify. Player A seems to know all the rules and none apply to him sometimes.

Answer
I'm going to have to make a couple of assumptions here and based on your answer, *my* answer changes.

1) After Player A serves to Player B on the left side, the ball remains between Player B and the left wall. If that's the case, it's Player B's call to hold up on the swing, etc.

2) After Player A serves to Player B on the left side, the ball "wraps around" and ends up hitting the left side wall, hits the back wall, and ends up (I'm guessing) between you (Player C) and Player B - probably in the middle part of the court near the back. In that scenario, either of you can call the hold up since either of you can hit the ball from where you are. Just because Player B let the ball go past him, doesn't negate you (Player C) from having a play on the ball - again, this assumes that the ball wraps around off the back wall and ends up in between players B and C.

The one thing that a lot of people forget about cutthroat (as it's usually played) is that it's one (server) on two (the other players) - it's like a game of singles and game of doubles all wrapped into one. Once it's the "two person team's" turn to hit the ball, EITHER person can call a hold up as long as either of the players have a fair claim on the ball. But this assumes that either player could hit the ball from where each player is. That's why I threw in scenario #1 - "the ball remains between Player B and the left wall" - in this scenario, only Player B can make a call on this ball. There's no way that Player C would be able to hit the ball from wherever he is.

Am not sure if I answered your Q?

Squash & Racquetball

Rob Chabot