Squash & Racquetball/Backwall use during a rally

Question
This is an amateur rules question, but I've heard some rec. league players say that to hit off the back wall during a rally one must be behind the receiving line (meaning it would be an illegal return to hit off the back wall if you are on the front wall side of the receiving line). However, after reading through the 2013 USA Racquetball rules I was unable to find anything confirming or denying this weird rule. It only says that the receiving line is only used to denote the safety area during the serve. Is there any truth to this weird rec. league rule at all?

P.S. I understand that hitting off the back wall should be avoided, but in some extreme cases where backward momentum doesn't allow an accurate offensive swing I've been forced to hit off the back wall from the front court and have always wondered if it is really illegal. Thanks for your insight.

Answer
I have two answers for this Q:

1) It's definitely not true. There is no official rule that states where you can (or cannot) be when hitting the ball off the back wall. It is definitely false.

2) HOWEVER, I would NEVER recommend anyone doing this. I can't think of a decent reason or any kind of circumstance where this would be (even remotely) a good idea. If someone feels they need to do this, this means s/he is playing WAY TOO FAR UP.

You should be spending the vast majority of your time in center court when playing singles. Note that center court is NOT a geometric center - rather, for racquetball, center court is in the middle of the back half of the court, just behind the dotted line, and is a box that is approximately 6 feet by 6 feet. If you can be in that spot for most of the game, you might be surprised how much easier it will be to get to most shots.

Hope this info helps - any other Qs, let me know.

Rob

Squash & Racquetball

Rob Chabot