St.Martin/Maarten/Beach Bungalows

Question
Hello Debby,
I am a 59 year old, Caucasian, single male living in Tennessee U.S.A. I am searching to rent a super economical beach bungalow in Florida or the Carribbean area,(for the sake of cheaper airfare), for a couple of weeks or a month every year or so, during the worst of Winter weather...nothing fancy, just a hut or bungalow on or near the beach where I can relax, fish, read, and catch up on stuff and stay warm. I will be by myself. Not into night life, the club scene, or woman chasing. Just a simple, no frills or luxuries, primitive stay where I can get cheap eats, stay warm, and rest, but in a safe location.
I've found bungalows for low as $10.00/night on Corn Island, Nicaragua and beach bungalows in India for the same price, but I fear either getting robbed or the possibility of having someone plant drugs on me because they might dislike Americans, and then the nightmare or possibility of dealing with their legal systems and possibly a long prison stay.
Can you provide me with any recommendations or provide information on any links, books, etc. that would help me with what I have described above; preferrably in a country which utilizes a legal system as used in America?
I checked on airfares to some neat bungalows in Thailand but round trip would cost $1600.00. I think maybe Florida or the Carribbean area might be best economically.

Thank you greatly.

Mike E.

Answer
Hi Mike,
 I have no experience with Florida. My only Caribbean experience is on St Martin and there really is no beach bungalows available for $10.00 a night. There is a place on the Dutch side, on Simpson Bay Beach that I have heard good reports about and that it is fairly inexpensive. The name is the Turquoise Shell Inn. Here is their web site:
http://www.tshellinn.com/about-us.html
 It is a fairly safe area, although no place is crime free these days, unfortunately. It's within walking distance of restaurants, grocery stores also. I have not heard any problems with people having drugs planted on them, etc.
There is another website that may be helpful to you. It is called TTOL (Travel Talk Online). Here's their website:
http://www.traveltalkonline.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
It covers several Caribbean islands and Mexico.
Hope this helps. Good luck in finding your perfect place in paradise !
         Sincerely, Debby

St.Martin/Maarten

Debby