St.Martin/Maarten/vacation

Question
Hi Debby,
My husband and I will be traveling to St. Martin in late February. We are first time visitors.  We are both around 60 yrs old. We were recommended to stay at sonesta bay resort. We want a resort that is all inclusive, has nightly entertainment and on the ocean. We would need advice on some excursions to do a few times during he week. How would the weather typically be that time of year? I heard from someone that we could snorkel with turtles. Do you know where that would be and how long it would be to get there? I get seasick. Would the boat ride to snorkeling sites be rough? How would I get from the dutch to the french side. Would I need my passport with me to do so? What other activities or sightseeing could you recommend? Thanks so much and I look forward to hearing from you.

Answer
Hi Linda,
I am not familiar with the Sonesta Bay Resort. I really don't know of any resort  that is all inclusive, has nightly entertainment and is on the ocean. There are very few resorts that are all inclusive and I really don't know any that have nightly entertainment. I would not recommend all inclusive, have never heard any good reviews for it, and there are so many wonderful restaurants on the island that make the dining choices unlimited.
The weather should be great in Feb. The most you might need is a light sweater in the evenings, if that.
There are several snorkeling trips, none that I recall specifically that feature turtles.
There is no problem passing from French to Dutch side and no need for passport. Most times, you may not even realize that you are crossing the border.
Other activities, sightseeing:
Maho area(Dutch) ; Cherie's restaurant for dinner, puts on an amusing show.
Orient Bay area: the Butterfly Farm (morning is best)
Philipsberg(Dutch) : shopping
Marigot (French): shopping & the French market
Grand Case (French): the glass bottom boat
There are many beautiful beaches, something for everyone,don't forget your sunscreen- the sun can be brutal. Some beaches feature waterspouts, wave runners,parasailing, etc.
There is the St. Maarten Zoo and a carousel that might be fun.
Several art galleries that feature local artists.
If you are renting a car, which is recommended, you can take a driving tour of the island. Sometimes it's fun to explore and discover things on your own.
I recommend a website called TTOL (travel talk on line) with a section devoted to St Martin. If you read through the posts, you can get a lot of other information which should be helpful.
Hope I have been helpful to you! Enjoy your time on St Martin. I'm sure you'll want to return! Please let me know if I can be of any more help tpo you.
         Sincerely, Debby

St.Martin/Maarten

Debby