Stained Glass/Lead Cames

Madandy wrote at 2010-04-05 19:35:43
Hi Ben,

In Theophilus' book 'on divers arts' written in the twelfth century a graphic description of casting lead came in wooden Came moulds is given. I have seen two metal versions of these one at the Gower Heritage Center, South Wales, the other at The Weald and Downland Open Air Museum in Sussex.  

Billman wrote at 2011-01-26 17:33:08
My came mould is about 18" long, in cast iron and makes two cames. These are rough H shaped blanks, and I also have a came mill with a series of different sized rolls (like a small steel washing mangle) which allows a range of diffent sized cames to be made. This bolts to a work bench - as the came is rolled it gets longer - 2' to 3' depending upoin the size of the rollers.

karl wrote at 2012-12-23 23:38:26
dear Ben,

I know its a long time ago, but I am currently trying to make a lead roller for lead came.

I have see one here in spain home made but the studio has close

down. would be very greatfull for any info!

kind regards

Karl.

Ficker wrote at 2015-11-11 03:28:20
I have  cast Iron came mold and an extruder that I inherited.  It was brought to the USA from the UK in the 1970's.  Email me for pictures red72impalaatgmaildotcom

Stained Glass