Stained Glass/History

Lynn Calvin wrote at 2013-09-21 18:33:20
JOHN CALVIN (son of WILLIAM CALVIN) was born about 1844 in Manchester, England, and appears to have died before 1916.  He married (1) ELIZABETH BOSWORTH December 3, 1865. She died, perhaps the ELIZABETH CALVIN who died in Chorlton, Lancashire at age 21 in the first quarter of 1867.  JOHN married (2) MARY JACKSON SPENCE April 12, 1868 in Eccleston, Lancashire, England, daughter of JAMES SPENCE.  JOHN’S occupation was listed in the 1868 marriage register as "glass stainer."  His occupation shown in the 1871 Census of England was as “ornamental leader.” One JOHN CALVIN declared intent to become a US citizen in January 1891 stating that he was a “lead glazier” and had arrived in the US in February 1874. The 1925 directory adds that Mary, widow of John Calvin, died February 14, 1925 at age 79.

This is from a compilation of genealogical briefs I have done on the Calvin families in the New York City area.

Stained Glass

Vic Rothman