Stained Glass/Adding support to a large stained glass window

I'm making a crescent shaped window (100" wide, 36" at the crest with 8" risers on each side) using copper foil.  The finished panel will be placed into an existing window (same configurations).  The window will consist of approx. 21 panes with zinc H bar creating the allusion of dividers going both horizontally and vertically.  The panes will be approx. 10" X 11 1/2".  The sill of the window is approx. 7ft from the floor.

1) what type of reinforcement should be added to the stained glass? Would copper reinforcement strips be advisable?  If yes, would these be placed along the horizontal edge of the panes?  Would these then be slid into the channels of the zinc H bar?

2) should a steel frame be made to go along the outside diameter of the window with vertical bars to attach to the window?

3) Any suggestions for how to lift this window to insert in place?  I'm thinking due to the weight of the glass, the glass may shift/twist and could create a crack.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.  Appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

In my experience, the zinc H ought to provide the support you need. The copper reinforcement strips being put into panes that are less than a foot square would provide extra support but would be redundant.

You'll probably want to have heavy zinc outer bar for the outside edge of the panel to provide the support needed.

If it were my project, I would try to build it in two pieces so that my overall length is only 50" per side, thus eliminating the problems that the install may entail and making it easier to make the thing.

Good Luck,

Stained Glass

David Gomm

Copper Foil stained glass panels are our specialty. Both architectural and residential questions can be asked. We build windows and teach classes in our studio. We design custom patterns by hand and then draw tham using AutoCAD. We recently donated over 100 square feet of glass to the Covey Center For The Arts in Provo, Utah. I write a monthly newsletter that gives tips and tricks for the stained glass trade at We also teach classes because the joy of new stained glass students rubs off on us and keeps the hobby fun.

Started business in stained glass in 1983. We build and design architectural and residential stained glass and we write a monthly stained glass newsletter at We also install glass, fuse panels and produce instructional videos. Jeanne's first book on Mandalas For Meditation is available on Amazon and she's working on a second. David is halfway done with an instruction manual. Together they have produced 6 instructional videos on projects and techniques.

Utah County Art Gallery, David is webmaster, Jeanne is recording secretary. Utah County Art Guild, showing members. Covey Center For The Arts, Donors and volunteers. Heritage School, Donors.

Go Articles, Ideamarketers, and Ezine Articles. We also contribute to newspapers and ezines. Also have several videos on You Tube betterstainedglass assorted videos.

Bachelor of Arts in Education, Missouri Southern State University. Taught stained glass college course at MSSU, currently teach classes in our studio. Write monthly newsletter. Seminars in advanced lamp design, drafting and design, and glass fusing.

St. Francis Of Assisi Merit. UDot Mural Competition-2011.

Covey Center For The Arts. Heritage School. Finer Consigner. Larry H. Miller. Keith Barton. UVU Alumni Association. St Francis Catholic Church.