Stained Glass/Restore old window

Question
We would like to know how to restore an window that has been painted over on the inside.  It is a small window (about 2 ft x 3 ft) with leaded grids and plain glass.  We haven't determined the condition of the glass, since the window "appeared" when we had new siding put on our house.  The window was probably installed when the house was built - about 1927.  It is set in a 2-3 inch wood frame that needs some work, but may be okay with sanding and repainting. Where should be begin, what tools and/or products should we use, and do we need to take the window out of the frame to do it?  (I hope not!).  Thanks for your help.

Answer
Dear Carol,
There are books you can purchase from the Stained Glass Association of America on restoring a stained glass window. My guess is that yes, you will need to take the window out.
For necessary tools, you need to find a stained glass supply store and purchase the hand tools and I would also suggest a beginner 'How To' book to be used in conjunction with the SGAA Technical manuals. There are also some basic direction videos on YouTube.
With regard to the wood frame, there are wood epoxies commercially available for wood consolidation if necessary.
You may e-mail me a photograph and I might be able to provide ideas about the paint removal from the glass, [ fssgi@aol.com ].
Good luck!
Valerie

Stained Glass

Valerie McCartney