Stained Glass/Copper Solder

Hello, I am new to stained glass and wonder if copper solder could be used in stained glass? I have seen the copper patina and want a more true copper finish.  I love the look of the copper foil, is there anyway to achieve the look of the copper foil on the finished product? Any help you might be able to give would be most appreciated!
Thank you

Hi Laura,

I'm sorry but I have never seen or heard of copper solder in the 45 years I have been working with stained glass. That's not to say it doesn't exist, just that I'm not aware of it. I have watched solder being made, and it is made from tin and lead.

As for getting a true copper finish, try making your own patina. Purchase copper sulfate powder. It can be found at some home improvement stores, farm and garden stores and chemical warehouses.
Be careful with it as it is poisonous. Be sure to wear rubber gloves when working with it.  Experiment by dissolving some in hot water. Precisely measure the amount you use each time in the experiment. Start with 1 Tbs in a cup of hot water. When it is dissolved, rub some on solder. Keep changing the measurements until you get the desired copper finish.

I know that sounds like a lot of work, and it is. I used to use copper sulfate and quickly decided I could live with ready made copper patina. If you polish the patina after applying it it will shine and look beautiful. You can read about the method I use to apply and clean patina Here

Kind regards,

Stained Glass