Stained Glass/antique bookcase etched glass bkcase

Question
I have a double door bookcase and my granddaughter shattered one of the glass panels. all of the broken glass is inside thebookcase . is this repairable or can it be replaced  it came from Scotland and I am so upset over this.

thanks for taking the time to answer, I really appreciate it!

Answer
Carol,
In all probability, your glass can be repaired or replaced. I am not sure about the glass; whether it is leaded or some kind of etched design on a single piece of clear glass. It would help if there were an image of the glass from the un-damaged side of the doors.

My recommendation is that you take photos of the undamaged glass or, better yet, take the undamaged door and glass to a competent art glass studio in your area. Look in the yellow pages or Google "glass, stained and leaded" to find someone. Ask to see samples of their work as there are various levels of competency among the studios. I think your best bet would be to find someone who does not rely on teaching classes and selling supplies to hobbyists to sustain themselves. A purely commission studio is what I am saying.

If you can, send me a photo of the glass work and the door that is not broken. I will have a better idea of what actually would be involved in the repair or recreation of your broken glass.

I hope my response isn't too vague. I simply do not have enough information from which to give any further assistance.

Good luck in your effort to repair your doors.

Carl Trimble
Trimble Studios
www.trimblestudios.com

Stained Glass

H Carl Trimble III