Stained Glass/beveled glass strips

I ordered beveled glass strips to frame a small stained glass project.  Do I have to grind the edges before foiling?  (Does grinding make the foil adhere to the glass or is it just to get a smooth edge?)

Grinding the edges will get rid of any burrs and give the edge a rougher texture and yes it does help the copper foil to stick better, assuming you wipe the glass free of glass dust and water.
You should not grind the bevels unless you do so very gently, because most of the bevel are a softer glass and can chip more easily.  You are probably ok to just copper foil them.  And assuming you are going to put a lead or zinc edge you do not have to copper foil the outside edges.

And I point out to my students if you are going to put a beveled glass border, start with the border and be sure your pattern fits.  If you do the inside first it could be off slightly and then no bevel would work.  But I often use bevels in conjunctions with my other glass-colors to complete the edges.

happy glass cutting, you can see some of my junk at

Stained Glass

lyn buerger

Questions about construction of stained glass using copper foil or lead. Repair, designing a pattern, how I go about helping my customers achieve their goals.

I've been doing stained glass for about 35 years. Teach stained glass in my studio and at the local University (UTA Eontinuing Edu)for over 25 years.

Many art related organizations, and several business organization Ecademy, RYZE, LINKEDIN.

Many trade magazine and have published several art/craft instrucitonal books.

Some formal college, but no degree. I just took classes that I thought would help me through life and did not work toward a degree.