Stained Glass/What Are These?!?!?!

Question
We have a colonial build in 1927.  The entryway leaded glass windows have little (about 3/8" diameter), six-petaled, lead flowers at each joint.  A few are missing but I don't even know what they are called! Can you tell me what they are called and if there is a store that may sell them or a mold?

Thanks.

Answer
leaded glass rosette casting
leaded glass rosette c  

Plaster casting mold for lead rosettes
Plaster casting mold f  
John,

The lead pieces are called "rosettes" and were commonly applied to leaded glass windows in the era of your windows. They were soldered to the leading of the windows. It is not uncommon for them to come off over time.

To my knowledge, there is not a source for buying these. If so, I am not aware of it. If there is, it is unlikely there would be ones to match your rosettes.

Periodically, I have occasion to repair windows such as yours. When the rosettes are missing, the process is to make a mold of one of the surviving elements and through the lost wax casting process, melt new lead and reproduce, exactly, the missing pieces.

If you are interested, I would be happy to work with you and reproduce a sufficient number of rosettes so that your windows can be restored.

Please contact me for assistance.

Best regards,

Carl Trimble
Trimble Studios
10031 Monroe Drive, Ste. 202
Dallas, Texas 75229
214-350-3794

Stained Glass

H Carl Trimble III