Stained Glass/Stained Glass for Outdoors

I have ~20 years experience as a stained glass crafts person, using the copper foil method.  I have done a few original pieces.  I'd like to design and create a panel to be installed in the "Healing Garden" of our community hospital.  I'd like to know the best method to create a piece for this kind of environment.  We are in Maine, USA  I envision a dimension of ~ 6' X 3'.  Many thanks!

Factors to consider are weather and also health & safety. Since you're in the US and this is for a public place, I suspect you must eliminate lead from all substances. You could consider fusing, and/or lead-free vitreous enamels. There would need to be a lead-free frame work to hold the pieces together: that is beyond my knowledge.  

Stained Glass

Stephen Byrne

Traditional and innovative techniques for kiln-fired painting on glass, for example, questions concerning firing schedules, how to mix paint, tools & equipment, media, techniques for applying paint, and so forth. I can do other areas but I think you are covered.

I'm a director of the Williams & Byrne stained glass studio in the UK, specialising in design and painting on glass. We are also an accredited conservation studio (by assessment, not payment!). Please see We're writing a downloadable book on the techniques of glass painting. Please see

MA (HONS) in philosophy from Saint Andrew's University (Scotland), D.Phil (ie. a doctorate) from University College, Oxford University.

Architects, designers, churches, private clients