Stained Glass/Antique stained glass door

Question
I live in a victorian home with stained glass on all doors and most windows. Son slammed door and glass shattered. I was thrilked to see it was a clear pane over my stained glass. I thought I needed to get it replaced for safety of door but now I'm not sure. Do stained glass doors need a clear pane? It seems to be inserted well in door. I'm just scared and broken glass still in place other than a few pieces that fell.No repair places have gotten back to me anyway.

Answer
Tami,
There is a general perception that the extra measure of covering leaded/stained glass inserts or windows with a sheet of clear glass is necessary for the protection of the art glass work.
In some cases, this is beneficial for an exterior door panel that  could be damaged by a stone thrown up by a lawnmower or edge trimmer. A tempered glass panel on the outside becomes the sacrificial lamb, so to speak, that takes the damage and protects the art glass. I will agree with a separate piece of glass, but inserting leaded glass into an insulated glass panel is, in  my experience not justified and should not be done. It is ultimately detrimental to the art glass; for  reasons not readily explained in this discussion.

The clear glass will cause reflections that detract from the visual effects of the stained glass. Likely the expense will exceed the potential cost of repairing the leaded glass in the overall unlikely event that there is damage to it in the first place. Yours appears to be of some historical value and the clear glass will, as noted above, detract from the visual impact of what the art glass was intended for in the first place.

So then, to make a long story short, the answer to your question is, "No, you do not need the extra pane of glass." A qualifier here is whether or not your leaded glass  is properly braced to prevent it from flexing as the door is repeatedly opened and closed in the day to day entering and exiting the home. If it does not have this, this would be a priority over replacing the broken clear glass. Any competent stained glass studio can take care of this.

Good luck. I hope this addresses your concern. IF not, further questions through AllExperts are welcome.

Carl Trimble
Trimble Studios
www.trimblestudios.com  

Stained Glass

H Carl Trimble III