Stained Glass/reinforced lead came

Question

I am curious about the "rules" of using brass reinforced lead came.  I have a 5'x2' vertical window to design and would prefer not to use a zinc rebar.  Practicing a weave design for leading up, can these cames be cut and still provide the needed support? I know I can place restrip inside the channel of regular lead, but I'd rather use the reinforced type.  Thanks.

Answer
Janet,
First of all, there are really very few rules here, so I will respond based on my experience.

Zinc rebar is a joke in much the same way the "re-strip " product is. It is simply inadequate for the job you mention. It is too malleable to be effective. You have a very narrow width  and the border leading will give sufficient support; especially if you use zinc caming. "Re-strip" is appropriate in some copper foil applications, but inserted into the slots of lead came is a waste of time and money.The copper has been dead soft annealed and is so thin as to be even more ineffective for the intended purpose.

I am not aware of a lead came that is brass reinforced. There is a came available from S.A. Bendheim that has a steel core in the heart of the came that is very effective in stabilizing leaded art glass work. It can be cut and soldered to great effect. The steel is "springy" and takes some effort to work around curves in the panel, but works quite well.

In your case, with a vertical orientation, the supports need to be done horizontally for effect; no matter which method you choose. In my opinion, you do not need to add additional supporting structure to this panel so long as you use a weaving pattern in your leading. Vertically installed supports are the weakest and most ineffective method of reinforcement. For appropriateness, the reinforcement should follow the shortest path across your panels. This is simply a factor of physics. As an example, take a dowel rod that is six inches long and try to bend it. Do the same with a 36 inch dowel and try to bend it. You will see the effect.

A whole chapter could be written on this subject, but I hope this helps.

Carl Trimble
Trimble Studios
www.trimblestudios.com

Stained Glass

H Carl Trimble III