Stains, Mopping, Wiping, Ironing, Cleaning/Denim dye stain on white shirt :(

Hi there Todd.

I just recently got this beautiful white new shirt that I think may have been ruined. I was putting some stain remover on a tomato stain which came out but after I realized the shirt was on top of my denim jeans the whole time and when I picked it up it had blue spots on it which is the dye from the denim on the white shirt. I spent an hour trying to get it out and after a whole bunch of oxy clean over and over again it faded so I decided to put the shirt in the dryer. When I took the shirt out it was dry but the stain although it was faded a lot, was still noticeable. I am really worried because I read online that once you put a shirt with a stain in the dryer the stain will set and it will not be able to come out.  Is there anyway I can get the stain completely out. Let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks a lot.

Yes it's definitely more difficult to get the stain out after it's been worked on and then put in the dryer.  Because you're dealing with a dye spot, you have to try to bleach the denim color out without bleaching the shirt.  There are 2 ways to do this.  The first is to take some hydrogen peroxide, put it on a towel and dab the area of the stain.  Then leave it for 24 hours.  You don't have to rinse it out, because hydrogen peroxide turns to water after is sits for a while.  Make sure you don't soak the spot because you don't want to get a water ring.  If this doesn't work, make a 50/50 white vinegar and water solution and do the same thing.  But this needs to be done on a sunny day.  After you dab the spot with the solution, put the shirt in the sun.  The vinegar and sunlight acts as a mild bleach.  This takes time though.  You may have to do this several times over a couple weeks.  Each time let the shirt sit in the sun for the whole day.  It doesn't have to be outside, just has to be in sunlight. Even after the sun goes down, let it dry completely before you do it again.  The spot should start to fade and eventually disappear.

Hope this helps,

Stains, Mopping, Wiping, Ironing, Cleaning

Todd Malin

I can answer just about any question relating to carpet & furniture cleaning and spot removal.

I have owned Maverick Cleaning Services for 20 years, and have a total of 28 years in the industry.

I have completed many seminars and have several certifications