Stains, Mopping, Wiping, Ironing, Cleaning/Stain

We have a fake leather couch and the upholstery was 'crackling'. My dumb husband sprayed it with some black rubberized crack repair-as seen on TV for eavestroughs, etc. That actually worked fine for weeks. Then, I put an expensive furniture throw over it last summer when it got uncomfortable to sit on in the heat. I just took it of, only to find a lot of the stuff he used stuck to, and stained the throw. Is there anything, maybe even an industrial grade solution, that would get this stuff out?

Water repellant solutions are usually petroleum based, so the stain removal would have to be a solvent, such as a dry cleaning solvent. You may be able to pick some up in a store that carries cleaning supplies. Ideally the best way would be to soak it in the solution but that may be impractical given the probable size of the throw. In any event wear gloves and have plenty of ventilation. Read the directions on the label. Do not expect miracles.

As a side note, besides never thinking of using that stuff as a repair for furniture I would have been worried about clothing staining and skin contact. I would think it would be an irritant after awhile.  

Stains, Mopping, Wiping, Ironing, Cleaning

R Adams

3m Certified carpet cleaning instructor can answer questions regarding spots/stains on carpet and other floor coverings and possible ways to remove same. Can also answer questions with regard to upholstery cleaning. I do not recommend specific name brands, companies or products.

10 years as a Former 3M Certified Carpet Cleaning Instructor. Certified flooring inspector for major mills 1985-present.

Floor Covering Inspector Training School; FCITS Floor Covering Inspection Technical Services; FITS Certified Claims Inspectors Association; CCIA

Hartford Courant

B.S. Chemistry 1971 A.S. Physical Science 1969 Armstrong Certified Installer 1972 3M Certified Carpet Cleaning Specialist 1976 FCITS Certified in Carpet and Hard Surface, Commercial and Residential

GE, Phoenix Insurance Group, McDonalds Corp, WTNH, US NAVY, Xerox, Time Warner, Pitney Bowes, Conair, Yale New Haven Hospital, UCONN, Price Waterhouse, PepsiCo