Stains, Mopping, Wiping, Ironing, Cleaning/Stain

Question
Hi
We have a fake leather couch and the upholstery was 'crackling'. My dumb husband sprayed it with some black rubberized crack repair-as seen on TV for eavestroughs, etc. That actually worked fine for weeks. Then, I put an expensive furniture throw over it last summer when it got uncomfortable to sit on in the heat. I just took it of, only to find a lot of the stuff he used stuck to, and stained the throw. Is there anything, maybe even an industrial grade solution, that would get this stuff out?

Answer
Water repellant solutions are usually petroleum based, so the stain removal would have to be a solvent, such as a dry cleaning solvent. You may be able to pick some up in a store that carries cleaning supplies. Ideally the best way would be to soak it in the solution but that may be impractical given the probable size of the throw. In any event wear gloves and have plenty of ventilation. Read the directions on the label. Do not expect miracles.

As a side note, besides never thinking of using that stuff as a repair for furniture I would have been worried about clothing staining and skin contact. I would think it would be an irritant after awhile.  

Stains, Mopping, Wiping, Ironing, Cleaning

R Adams