Stamps (Philately)/22kt gold replicas of us stamps colection

bdaviddawg wrote at 2012-11-17 02:15:20
However, now that the price of gold is closer to $1800, that puts the gold value approaching $1.00 for each 22kt. stamp.  This gold replica stamp is on a genuine First Day Cover just like you can get from the USPS (but with a nicer cachet or artwork).  I agree that the philatelic value of the FDC would probably be only 10-30% of the original issue price, but based on what I have seen in the 2012 Scott US Stamp Catalogue, that seems to be true for the majority of stamps since ~1932, not just First Day Covers.  If anything the PCS FDC's with the gold plated stamps on the cover would probably contribute as much to the price you could sell one of these covers for, equal to or maybe more than the philatelic value would.  

Another point is PCS used to issue these golden replicas for every variation of stamp (perf, coil, booklet) so it was easy to collect at least 75-100 FDC's per year.  100 covers x $1.00 in gold value x $1.00 philatelic value = $200 per year.  There were also several large issues of 50 and even 100 stamp sets (e.g. Birds and Flowers of the 50 States) which now might be worth $50 to $100 on eBay.

On the other hand, a 20 cent stamp from the 80's will cost you 60 cents from a dealer, but it is still only worth 20 cents.  A complete collection of 1976 stamps in mint condition from the USPS still sells for only about face value of the stamps (less than the original purchase price).  

Stamps (Philately)

Mike Stern