Stamps (Philately)/United States 476A Used Stamps

Douglas Andrew Willinger wrote at 2015-02-05 18:31:08
I suspect there was a problem with the paper manufacturer, especially given this from Siegel auctions:

---

Despite the P.S.E. claim that a watermark has been "discovered" on one stamp from one of the 476A panes, the vestige of a watermark on the dandy roll used to make unwatermarked paper has been known to philatelists since 1918. The unwatermarked paper supplied to the Bureau for printings of sheets that were perforated gauge 10 and 11 is known to have had "ghost" watermarks where the brass pieces were removed. We currently side with the group of philatelists who believe that the 30c Perf 10 Unwatermarked, Scott 476A, was legitimately issued. The block offered here has selvage that has absolutely no trace of the watermark.

---

Perhaps a roll of paper which was then cut for sheets had the watermark applied inconsistently, particularly towards the end of a roll?

Does the watermark "miss" stamps on the 30 cent anymore than other denominations?

I have 2 of these stamps, used, that I do not see a watermark- one is a plate number single.

Would anyone issue a cert that at least specifies that such a stamp lacks a watermark if it so lacks any trace of a watermark?  

Stamps (Philately)

Mike Stern