Stamps (Philately)/3 cent stamp

Question
I have two 3 cent stamps.  They are green with George Washington in the middle. The top reads "inter.revenue"  with "proprietary" on the bottom.  Both stamps are fully perforated.  They both have a black inked, hand made X on them, right in the middle of the forehead.  The stamps are on the back of wallet sized pictures of a boy around the ages of 6 and 8.  The back round in both pictures is the same as is the last name that someone wrote on the front of the pictures.
Please let me know more about the stamps and what they are worth.

Thank You,

Kasee

Answer
Hi Kasee,

Thanks for your question.

What you have there is called a revenue stamp.  Revenue stamps were used as a form of receipt for goods received or services rendered.  The "X" in the middle was where a postmaster or person in charge cancelled the stamp. Hand cancellations such as this were used frequently as automation was not in existence.

This particular stamp is Scott #R18 and it was issued between 1862 and 1871.  The current list value on this stamp is $7.00.

Thanks again for your question and let me know if I can be of any more help.

Terry
P.S.  Please remember to rate my reply to your inquiry.  Appreciate it.  

Stamps (Philately)

Terry Tipton