Stamps (Philately)/U.S. War Savings Stamps

QUESTION: My elderly mother has a United States War Savings Bond booklet with 25 cent stamps in it from WWII.  It is not full.

Is there any value to these stamps?  She would like to sell them if there is a market.

Thanks for your question.

War Savings stamps and Postal Savings stamps were used as a savings plan by the USPS.  People would buy the stamps at their churches, schools and post offices and place them in a book when they got home (similar to old grocery stamps I had when I was a kid). When the book was full, it could be redeemed at the local post office in the form of a U.S. Savings Bond.  The USPS discontinued the practice in the late 60's/early 70's.

The stamps have limited value.  If you give me a follow up and include a detailed description of what you have, I will be more than happy to research a list value for you.

As for the books themselves. they have little value but do make the stamps more desirable to some collectors.

Thanks again for your question and I look forward to that follow up.

P.S.  Please remember to rate my reply to your inquiry.  Appreciate it.

QUESTION: Thank you for your information.   My mother is interested in selling this booklet.  It is a 25 cent stamp booklet with the title, "For the purchase of United States War Savings Bonds" imprinted on the front.   She has not collected all the stamps to fill this booklet.  It is partially full (8 stamps)

Is there any value here?

Hello BK,

Being brutally honest here--there is little demand at the present time for Savings Books with War Stamps in in.  Your best bet would be to contact a stamp dealer in your local area or possibly post it on an Internet auction site (such as E-Bay).  

Selling to a dealer will get you your money in hand a little faster but will not always off you the best return for your item.  Selling through an auction usually will reap a higher return but the down side is that there are fees involved and it usually takes a little longer to get your money in hand.

I wish I had better info for you. Good luck.  Let me know if I can be of any more help.

Stamps (Philately)

Terry Tipton

I have been involved in philately for most of my 56 years. I specialize in United States Issues and Postmarks. I have numerous reference sources to research if I do not know the answer. I am organized and promise swift courteous answers. I am a member of the American Philatelic Society. I also have my own philatelic mail order business.

As I mentioned, I have been collecting philatelic items for most of my 56 years. I have several albums of United States issues (most of them are pages I designed myself) and I also have numerous albums of postmarks sorted and researchhed by state.

American Philatelic Society, All Nations Stamp Club and Harford County Stamp Club

Linn's, All Nations Stamp Club Website, and local Newspaper

Board of Directors for Christmas in April 1990-1996