Stamps (Philately)/1 cent Franklin

Question
1 cent Franklin
1 cent Franklin  
QUESTION: Hi Bill,

I read a lot of stories about Franklin and Washington stamps so for me its difficult to give my stamps a place.
Can you help me please with this 1 cent Franklin?
The measurements are: Above 19 and side 22.5

I hope you can help me,

Greetings,

Maarten

ANSWER: Based on the picture, you have a 1-cent green Franklin from the US 1908-1909 issues.  If your stamp has the double line watermark it is from the December 1908 printing.  If your stamp has the single line watermark it is from the November 1910 printing.

QUESTION: Hi Bill,

Is it possible that you can tell what kind of Scott number this can be?
This can make my search for answers a lot easier.
What is the best way to check the watermark?

I hope you can help me.

Greetings,

Maarten

Answer
Maarten,

My apologies.  You have a stamp from the more confusing 1922-1932 series.  These are not watermarked.  If perf 11, then Scott 596.  If perf 11 X 10, then Scott 578.  If perf 10 then Scott 581.  If perf 11 X 10.5 then Scott 632.  Perf is short for perforation and the number is the number (gauge) of perforations in 20 mm.  Only one number indicates that both horizontal and vertical are the same gauge.  Two different numbers is horizontal first then vertical.  I think you have Scott 632 first printed in June of 1927.  

Stamps (Philately)

Bill Lehr