Stamps (Philately)/3 Cent Washington Stamp

QUESTION: I have an envelope from the Civil War era, that has a 3 cent Washington stamp affixed to it. The contents of the envelope is a letter from a Union soldier to his wife in Maine. The stamp and letter are in pretty good shape. The envelope is worn. The letter is dated August 23, 1865. Would you have some idea as to it's value?

ANSWER: Hello Ronald,

Thanks for your question.

First--the stamp--I need you to do a follow up and include a scan of the stamp you have.  There are many 3c Washington stamps that fit the general description you gave.  Some of these stamps are quite valuable.

As for the letter---this is where I think stamp collecting is fun!   Letters are a hands on touch to history that one cannot find in a history book.  Letters may not be from anyone important or notable but they are a link to our heritage.  The list value of common letters is quite speculative.  I have seen them retail from $1.00 to $25.00 with $3.00 being the norm.  

Thanks again for your question and I look forward to your follow up.  

P.S.  Please remember to rate my reply to your inquiry.  Appreciate it.

Washington 3 Cent Stamp
Washington 3 Cent Stam  
Sorry it took so long to send the image of my stamp.

Hello again Ron,

Thanks for the follow up with an image if the stamp you have.

In my opinion,  the stamp is Scott #65 and the earliest known use of this stamp is August 19, 1861.  This stamp today has a list value of $3.00

Thanks again for your question and let me know if I can be of any more help.

Stamps (Philately)

Terry Tipton

I have been involved in philately for most of my 56 years. I specialize in United States Issues and Postmarks. I have numerous reference sources to research if I do not know the answer. I am organized and promise swift courteous answers. I am a member of the American Philatelic Society. I also have my own philatelic mail order business.

As I mentioned, I have been collecting philatelic items for most of my 56 years. I have several albums of United States issues (most of them are pages I designed myself) and I also have numerous albums of postmarks sorted and researchhed by state.

American Philatelic Society, All Nations Stamp Club and Harford County Stamp Club

Linn's, All Nations Stamp Club Website, and local Newspaper

Board of Directors for Christmas in April 1990-1996