Stamps (Philately)/First Day Issue Envelope

My uncle has a first day US Postal Envelope dated July, 1971 with the 8 cent stamp.  It was cancelled on June 30, 1971.  Would this be worth anything?

Hello Bettie Jo,

Thanks for your question.

The stamp you are asking about is Scott #1396 and, as you said its' official day of issue was July 1, 1971.  However, some postmasters got an early start to their cancellation for this stamp and therefore some of them are dated June 30.  It is not considered as a rarity but as an oddity.  I looked at my collection and some of mine are dated June 30 as well.

The list value of this stamp is $1.00.  As a side note, there were more than 16 million covers cancelled for those stamps!

Thanks again for your question and let me know if I can be of any more help.

P.S.  Please remember to rate my reply to your inquiry.  Appreciate it.  

Stamps (Philately)

Terry Tipton

I have been involved in philately for most of my 56 years. I specialize in United States Issues and Postmarks. I have numerous reference sources to research if I do not know the answer. I am organized and promise swift courteous answers. I am a member of the American Philatelic Society. I also have my own philatelic mail order business.

As I mentioned, I have been collecting philatelic items for most of my 56 years. I have several albums of United States issues (most of them are pages I designed myself) and I also have numerous albums of postmarks sorted and researchhed by state.

American Philatelic Society, All Nations Stamp Club and Harford County Stamp Club

Linn's, All Nations Stamp Club Website, and local Newspaper

Board of Directors for Christmas in April 1990-1996