Stamps (Philately)/Licence to sell stamps on Internet

I have been collecting stamps for many years. I want to sell some of them online to buyers in India and outside. Do I need a license to sell stamps outside India

Thanks and regards

ANSWER: Hi Atul,
Thanks for contacting me for your query. For selling stamps in India as per my knowledge you do not require any license. However if VAT is applicable on stamps in your state then you need to have VAT Registration. For selling stamps outside India you should be a merchant exporter and should hold IEC Code (Import Export Code).

QUESTION: Dear sir,

Thank you for your reply. I have  slight doubts which I want you to please clarify. The are

1.If the sale is conducted sitting on the internet in India on a foreign site, is it considered sold in India or Sold abroad.

2. Does holding a IEC code make you a merchant exporter. Are both same or different entities.  

3. As I understand a merchant is one who buy and then sells for a profit. I am not buying and selling, I am just selling from my collection, therefore do I need to be merchant exporter.

I will be very grateful if you could answer the above queries.

Thanks and regards

Atul Madan

Hi Atul,
Thanks. Actually your follow up questions are out of my expertise but I shall try to address your query. Once you are selling any goods abroad using any platform whether in India or Foreign, ultimately you are selling it abroad so it is Export. IEC code is must for an exporter. For your third query and more clarity for all your questions, I suggest you to contact any Chartered Accountant.

Stamps (Philately)

Prashant H. Pandya

I can answer queries related to Modern Postal History of India, Indian Postal Stationery, Baroda and Rajpipla State Postal History and fiscals. Please no questions about valuation of stamps or any philatelic material.

Involved in philatelic activities for more than 30 years. As a collector I have actively participated in State, National and International level Philatelic Exhibitions, writing articles on various aspects of philately. I am also a web master and maintaining philatelic web sites for the promotion of philately.

President: Baroda Philatelic Society
Moderator : Indian Philatelists' Forum (A web based e-group promoting Indian Philately. -
Secretary: Philatelic Congress of India
India Study Circle for Philately, U.K.
Association International des Journalistes Philatéliques (AIJP)
Philatelic Webmasters' Association
Volunteer Editor for (Editing Recreation/Collecting/Stamps Category)

1. Vadophil- Quarterly News Bulletin of Baroda Philatelic Society (Also an editor of the journal)
2. India Post - Journal of India Study Circle for Philately
3. Ind Dak
4. GPA Newsletter
5. A Guide to Modern Indian Postal Stationery, Vol. I (Envelopes)
6. Various Philatelic Souvenirs published during philatelic exhibitions.
7. - Website for the promotion of Indian Philately

B. Sc. (Microbiology)

Have won Silver, Large Silver, Vermeil and Large Vermeil medals with special prizes for my collections on Postal Stationery of India, Philavision, Shahastrabdi (Millennium) and The Story of Milk at State, Regional, National and International level.