Stamps (Philately)/Stamp Collecting Start-up

I am a coin collector who knows little about stamp collecting. However, I am very interested in stamps. I need to know what are the key reference materials for stamp collecting and/or what would be the go-to references to learn the basics of the stamp collecting business(good and bad). I know in coin collecting the mantra is, read the book before you buy the coin. Thank you in advance for you time and efforts in this matter.

There is a couple of things you could do: Buy a book on stamps, I would recommend "Fundamentals of Philately" by L.N.Williams- should be able to get a used one on Amazon pretty cheap. Also, you could join the APS ( American Philatelist Society ) for a small fee and they have reference material you can borrow and buy on several subjects and it also includes a monthly magazine with great insight on stamp collecting. I have been collecting for over 20 years and I am still learning and enjoying the hobby, I am sure you will to. I hope this helps.

Mike Lancial  

Stamps (Philately)

Michael Lancial

I am a stamp collector for 25 years and can answer most questions in US stamps and Schermack Postage vending machines

I have collected and bought many collections of US stamps over the last 25 years. I am currently a APS member in good standing for over 20 years. I also can help answer questions on Schermack Postage Vending Machines, I am not an expert but I do collect them.

I am college educated and graduated from LIT in Michigan 1988. My only stam education comes from all the classes I went to at the Plymouth,Mi stamp shows over the years.