Stamps (Philately)/Roll of unused USA 1938 George Washington 1 cent A276

So I've been able to I.D. this roll of stamps as USA 1938 George Washington 1 cent A276.  The entire roll is also marked with two horizontal lines (black), one runs just at the top of Washington's head - the other at the bottom of the pic. The words "TACOMA WASH." are also printed (two lines) on each stamp.

Anything you can tell me about this roll of stamps would be most appreciated.

What you have are "precanceled" stamps, specifically Scott number 839.  The purpose of such stamps was to aid businesses by speeding up the delivery process of business mail though efficiency (and one of those ways was the elimination of the step of canceling each article).  Precanceled stamps are always considered used, even if they have never been affixed to an article of mail.  The stamps are valued at 50 for regular pairs, or 60 for joint line pairs.

-Mark Leon

I deal in United States Stamps
American Art Glass
and Halloween Costumes!

Stamps (Philately)

Mark Leon

I am a collector of United States postage stamps, and also a stamp dealer. I`m a member of the American Philatelic Society (APS). My principle area of interest and expertise is in United States Stamps.

I've been selling stamps on the internet since early 1996. I maintain a stamp web page that concentrates on mint US stamps issued generally between 1890 and 2009. I'm an active seller on since 1996, under the user id "mleon". You can find my web page at

I have a Bachelor of Science degree in computer science from the University of Nevada at Las Vegas, 1984.