Stamps (Philately)/1-1/4c Palace of The Governors stamp

Question
Hi Terry, saw the below post and had a question. My Dad was a letter carrier and had brought me a sheet of 1-1/4c Palace of The Governors stamp but mine were not pre cancelled. Does this make any difference in the value or were they just sold both ways?

Thanks, Eric

-----

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your question.

The 1-1/4c Palace of The Governors stamp is Scott #1031B. It was issued in sheets of 100 in March 1956.  The dark parallel lines are a "pre-cancel" and the city they were to be used in. They pre-canceling saved the post office a lot of time. The sender would sort the letters using this stamp, by zip code.  The sheet you have has a list value of $20.00.

Thanks again for your question and let me know if I can be of any more help.

Terry

Answer
Hello Eric,

Thanks for your question.

The sheet of stamps you have (not-precancelled) would have the same list value.  The only reason for pre-canceling back then was to speed up the sorting of mail.  

Terry

Stamps (Philately)

Terry Tipton