Stamps (Philately)/Gold Stamp Replica

terry i have a 1990 Dwight David Eisenhower 22k. gold stamp replica still in the orignal mailing package never been taking out how much is this worth or is this worth more to sell as a melt down with the rest of my gold ?

Hello Jethro,

Thanks for your question.  It's one that comes up often and it is good to review.

Gold replica stamps were issued by private companies in an attempt to cash in on the popularity of stamp collecting.  Gold replica stamps were never issued by the U.S.P.S.  That being said, their value is quite speculative.  I have seen these covers retail between $1.00 and $5.00, with $1.50 being the norm.

As for the gold content, I wish I had better (and more profitable news) for you.  The gold layering of these stamps is so microscopically thin that it would take several thousands to amass anything of the least bit of gold value.  

Thanks again for your question and let me know if I  can be of any more help.

Stamps (Philately)

Terry Tipton

I have been involved in philately for most of my 56 years. I specialize in United States Issues and Postmarks. I have numerous reference sources to research if I do not know the answer. I am organized and promise swift courteous answers. I am a member of the American Philatelic Society. I also have my own philatelic mail order business.

As I mentioned, I have been collecting philatelic items for most of my 56 years. I have several albums of United States issues (most of them are pages I designed myself) and I also have numerous albums of postmarks sorted and researchhed by state.

American Philatelic Society, All Nations Stamp Club and Harford County Stamp Club

Linn's, All Nations Stamp Club Website, and local Newspaper

Board of Directors for Christmas in April 1990-1996