Stamps (Philately)/Gold Stamp Replica

Question
terry i have a 1990 Dwight David Eisenhower 22k. gold stamp replica still in the orignal mailing package never been taking out how much is this worth or is this worth more to sell as a melt down with the rest of my gold ?

Answer
Hello Jethro,

Thanks for your question.  It's one that comes up often and it is good to review.

Gold replica stamps were issued by private companies in an attempt to cash in on the popularity of stamp collecting.  Gold replica stamps were never issued by the U.S.P.S.  That being said, their value is quite speculative.  I have seen these covers retail between $1.00 and $5.00, with $1.50 being the norm.

As for the gold content, I wish I had better (and more profitable news) for you.  The gold layering of these stamps is so microscopically thin that it would take several thousands to amass anything of the least bit of gold value.  

Thanks again for your question and let me know if I  can be of any more help.

Terry

Stamps (Philately)

Terry Tipton