Stamps (Philately)/Liechtenstein Stamp.

Question
Stamp
Stamp  
I have been trying to find out more about this stamp, It says Liechtenstein on it but I cant find it in any catalogues, I have attached a picture, hope you can help.

Many Thanks,
Andrew.

Answer
Hi Andrew,

the stamp from Liechtenstein is from a sub-category of postage stamps. Unfortunately I do not know the exact word in English - in German it is called "Portomarken" in French "frais de porto". Maybe it is "surcharge stamps" in English ?
Many countries - including Liechtenstein - had special stamps for billing surcharge on letters. These have been placed on the letter before delivery of the letter by a postal clerk and charged at delivery from the postman.
The stamp you are referring to has been issued in July 1920. According to the German Michel catalog, the current value is just 0.40 Euro.

Hope this answer helps.
Kind regards
Peter

Stamps (Philately)

Peter Lang