Stamps (Philately)/old postage stamps

I havea book of stamp that are first day issued is there anywhere i can go and get them appraised.

Hello Norman,

Thanks for your question.

The answer is as close as your nearest library!  Check out Scotts Specialized Catalogue of U.S. Stamps & Covers.  It is considered the "holy bible" of stamp collectors.  In this user friendly book, you can find almost every postage stamp the United States has ever issued.  There are pictures to help with identification as well as values for each item in both mint and used conditions.

Roughly in the middle of the book is a section totally dedicated to first day covers and cancellations.  Keep in mind that the list values in the book are what you can expect to pay for an item if you were to buy it at a stamp dealer.  Selling that same item to a stamp dealer will generally net you 20% to 30% of the list value depending on condition and demand.

Good luck.  Thanks again for your question and let me know if I can be of any more help.

Stamps (Philately)

Terry Tipton

I have been involved in philately for most of my 56 years. I specialize in United States Issues and Postmarks. I have numerous reference sources to research if I do not know the answer. I am organized and promise swift courteous answers. I am a member of the American Philatelic Society. I also have my own philatelic mail order business.

As I mentioned, I have been collecting philatelic items for most of my 56 years. I have several albums of United States issues (most of them are pages I designed myself) and I also have numerous albums of postmarks sorted and researchhed by state.

American Philatelic Society, All Nations Stamp Club and Harford County Stamp Club

Linn's, All Nations Stamp Club Website, and local Newspaper

Board of Directors for Christmas in April 1990-1996