Stamps (Philately)/US Scott #587 Garfield, 1925

Question
Garfield #587
Garfield #587  
Sir,

Are you familiar with any misprints on the #587?  I have on one of this stamp, with three locations, of evenly spaced lines, inside of three different letters.  Other comparisons of this same stamp I have not seen this on other 587 stamps.  The particular letters are E, and the P & S in the word postage.  The E has the triangle in the center of the E with a parallel line evenly running along the length of the triangle.  The P has a single line running from the center of the up-ride back on the inside of the P.  It extends 1/2 of the distance.  The letter S, on the lower curve, has two identical, evenly spaced lines basically running S-N.  A .pdf image provides better enlargement with ease of seeing.  I can not load a .pdf on this site.

Richard

Answer
Hi Richard,
Thanks for the question.
Richard, I have not heard of this particular inking misprint. As you said I can't see it in the picture, but to be honest it sounds like it could be just a wiping error. These occur during printing after the ink is applied to the printing plate it is then wiped to remove the excess ink, it is not all that uncommon for little streaks to remain on the plate after wiping. Minor wiping errors do not usually affect the value one way or another. I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions I would be happy to help.
Thanks again for the question,
Mike

Stamps (Philately)

Mike Stern