Stamps (Philately)/stamp book evaluation

I'm trying to figure out the value of a stamp album, The International Postage Stamp Album, Junior Edition.  I'm not sure of the date it was published, it is blue with red binding and in decent condition but somewhat worn edges.  It contains stamps, most used but some not used; some USA, 20 Austria not used, 12 Belgium used, 20 not used from Bosnia and Herzegovina, a few from Cameroon not used, Canada, Cuba, Czechoslovakia, Denmark, Dominica Republic, France, Georgia, an unused set of 20 from Liechtenstein, Poland, Straights Settlements, Sweden, Upper Silesia, and a few others.

ANSWER: Hello Dave,

Thanks for your question.  

The value of what you have is in the stamps themselves, not the album.   As for finding the values, it's quite easy. At your local library, check out Scotts Catalogue.  It is considered the "holy bible" of stamp collectors.  In these user friendly books, you can find almost every postage stamp ever issued.  There are pictures to help with identification as well as values for each item in both mint and used conditions.

A word about values in the book---they are a rough guide as to what you can expect to pay for an item if you were to buy it at a stamp dealer.  Selling that same item to a stamp dealer will generally net you 20% to 30% of the list value depending on condition and demand.

Good luck!  I have you have a rare find in your album!  Thanks again for your question and let me know if I can be of any more help.

P.S.  Please remember to rate my reply to your inquiry.  Appreciate it.

Thanks for the quick and helpful response.  Do you think it is worth it for me to check out the Scotts Catalogue based on the limited info I provided?  I got into stamp collecting as a kid when I bought that stamp album at a garage sale, and now that I'm an adult I really don't have the same passion about collecting.  I'm mostly just interested in selling my collection, or at least knowing what it is worth.  In addition to what I already described, I have thousands of stamps, some that are still on the envelopes or pieces of the envelopes....with postmarks from the 1920s through the 70s...I guess they are from someone my grandparents knew who saved all their stamps.  Also a Reader's Digest first day cover collection book on USA space exploration with a bunch of first day of issue stamps on envelopes.  Sorry for my lack of knowledge on this and thanks for any help or guidance you can provide.

Hello again Dave,

Thanks for your folloow up.

Checking the Scotts Catalogue will give you an idea of what you have.  The other option would be to check a stamp dealer in your area and see what they think a list value of your collection would be.

The first day covers can also be found in the Scotts Catalogue (rouoghly in the middle)

Thanks again and let me know if I can be of any more help.

Stamps (Philately)

Terry Tipton

I have been involved in philately for most of my 56 years. I specialize in United States Issues and Postmarks. I have numerous reference sources to research if I do not know the answer. I am organized and promise swift courteous answers. I am a member of the American Philatelic Society. I also have my own philatelic mail order business.

As I mentioned, I have been collecting philatelic items for most of my 56 years. I have several albums of United States issues (most of them are pages I designed myself) and I also have numerous albums of postmarks sorted and researchhed by state.

American Philatelic Society, All Nations Stamp Club and Harford County Stamp Club

Linn's, All Nations Stamp Club Website, and local Newspaper

Board of Directors for Christmas in April 1990-1996