Stamps (Philately)/scott # 114

Question
scott #114
scott #114  

scott #114
scott #114  
I have two scott #114 and They appear to have no "g" grills on either of them.

I have looked under a microscope, flet the stamp, held the stamps at a slight angle under light with no avail.

Your thoughts

Answer
Howard,

Seeing as the 114 without a grille (114a) or the un-grilled (125)are both pricey, care is needed as well as a certificate from one of the stamp expertising organizations.

One recommendation for finding the grille is an extreme high DPI scan of the back (600 or more).  Then, if the grille is not visible, manipulation of the image using image processing software might help.

The traditional and still frequently used method is a light application of powdered graphite to the back side of the stamp.  CAUTION!  If not done carefully all collectible value will be lost.

Recommendations for when you post pictures of stamps
1)  Use a black background.
2)  Crop out the extraneous background.
3)  Use a scanner.  This avoids that out of focus look.

Stamps (Philately)

Bill Lehr