Stamps (Philately)/8c grant stamp with alha letters peforating the back.

I have two canceled 8c grant stamps. The cancelation mark has a letter d on front side. The back of stamp has letters that have been perforated across the back. With some letters upside down.You can see daylight whewre the letters are.  What is this?

Thamk you in advance.

Hello Cindy,

Thanks for the question.  First, sorry about the delay in an answer.  I've been ill and out of action for some time and just getting back to the desk here.

Okay--back to stamps.  As for a specific value on what you have, I would need you to do a follow up and include a scan of what you have.  There are several 8c Grant stamps (some of which are quite valuable) and it all depends on the number of perforations and type of paper the stamp is printed on.

As for the "letter perforations" you are asking about--they are nothing but postmaster cancellations.  Some used initials, some used letters, some just scribbled on the stamp with their pens.   Keep in mind that this was before automation came into existence.

Thanks again for your question and I look forward to a follow up if you want a list value of the stamps you have.

Stamps (Philately)

Terry Tipton

I have been involved in philately for most of my 56 years. I specialize in United States Issues and Postmarks. I have numerous reference sources to research if I do not know the answer. I am organized and promise swift courteous answers. I am a member of the American Philatelic Society. I also have my own philatelic mail order business.

As I mentioned, I have been collecting philatelic items for most of my 56 years. I have several albums of United States issues (most of them are pages I designed myself) and I also have numerous albums of postmarks sorted and researchhed by state.

American Philatelic Society, All Nations Stamp Club and Harford County Stamp Club

Linn's, All Nations Stamp Club Website, and local Newspaper

Board of Directors for Christmas in April 1990-1996