Stamps (Philately)/Louisiana Purchase stamps (set of 5)

Louisiana Purchase stamps
Louisiana Purchase sta  

Certificate of authenticity
Certificate of authent  
I purchased a set of 5 Louisiana Purchase Exposition stamps approximately 8 years ago from Hampton Collection.These stamps were issued in 1904. A gentleman, Phil, who works with Stanford Myers  stated that the stamps are worth approximately 8 times what I paid for them. He also wants me to send the stamps to be "appraised" by the Stanford Myers Investment Group, Inc in Las Vegas, Nevada. Could the value have increased that much? I'm not sure that I feel comfortable sending the stamps to Las Vegas if they are worth what was stated. I have NO experience with stamps at all.

Hello Alta,

Thanks for your question.

First, sorry about the delay in answering.  I've been ill for a few days and am just getting back to the desk here.

Okay--now onto the stamps.   These stamps are Scott #323 to #327 and they were all issued on April 30, 1904.  They appear to be in mint condition.  Looking at your image, the only question I have is the 2c stamp seems to have some lower left corner damage.  In this industry, condition is paramount.   Today, all five of these stamps have a list value of $230.00.  Keep in mind, list value is what you would expect to pay for an item if you were to buy them at a reputable stamp dealer.  Selling them to a stamp dealer will generally net you 20% to 30% of the list value.

Thanks again for your question and let me know if I can be of any more help

P.S. Please remember to rate my reply to your inquiry.  Appreciate it.  

Stamps (Philately)

Terry Tipton

I have been involved in philately for most of my 56 years. I specialize in United States Issues and Postmarks. I have numerous reference sources to research if I do not know the answer. I am organized and promise swift courteous answers. I am a member of the American Philatelic Society. I also have my own philatelic mail order business.

As I mentioned, I have been collecting philatelic items for most of my 56 years. I have several albums of United States issues (most of them are pages I designed myself) and I also have numerous albums of postmarks sorted and researchhed by state.

American Philatelic Society, All Nations Stamp Club and Harford County Stamp Club

Linn's, All Nations Stamp Club Website, and local Newspaper

Board of Directors for Christmas in April 1990-1996