Stamps (Philately)/stamps

Question
FIRST I WOULD LIKE TO SAY THANK YOU FOR SPENDING YOUR PRECIOUS TIME FROM YOUR LIFE TO ANSWER QUESTIONS FOR PEOPLE LIKE ME WHO KNOW VERY LITTLE ABOUT COLLECTING STAMPS.MY QUESTION IS ABOUT CANCELED STAMPS I HAVE ABOUT 20 SHEETS OF DIFFERENT STAMPS FROM OTHER COUNTRIES AND THEY HAVE NEVER BEEN ATTACHED OR USED BUT ALL ON THE STAMPS ON THE SHEETS HAVE BEEN CANCELED THEY HAVE BEEN STAMPED IN CORNERS WHERE THEY ARE HINGED.I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY AND ARE THEY WORTH MORE BECAUSE OF BEING UNUSED AND CANCELED.THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Answer
Hi Max,
  I was wondering if you can attach a photo of at least one of the sheets, and also can you give me a list of the countries and denominations of each of the stamps?  Also, if you have any idea or feel for how old they might be, I'm flying blind without any description of them.  So the answer to your question will lay all in where they are from, how old they are, and what exactly this "Unused but canceled".  It sounds like they may be "precancels", or if the "cancel" is a diagonal line in the upper left corner of each stamp it more likely means they are "reproductions" meant as commemorative, but are not actual valid for postage.  In the latter case, they are probably worth very little.
  Please send a photo or a scan if you can, and it will give me better insight to what you have.
Thanks,
Scott

P.S.  I'm originally from Indiana as well, but live in Singapore now.  So hello, my fellow Hoosier.

Stamps (Philately)

Scott Payton