Stamps (Philately)/1861 - 67 Issue Washington Red 3 cent stamp

I found an international stamp collection in the house i moved into 10 years ago.  It has a lot of stamps from the 1800's and thousands of stamps from all over the world.  I have recently started doing research on some of the oldest ones.  My question is about the Red Washington stamp that was printed in several shades of red, i.e.  1961 - 62 pink #64, rose pink #64b, rose #65, and 1861-66  scarlet #74.  Is there anyway other than color to differentiate? I'm not sure which color this one is.  I can send pictures if you would like to see.  It may be blatantly obvious to you.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you ~
Krista Bennett

Unfortunately color is the only way to discern between the 1861 three cent Washington issues.  Scans are not reliable because of the subtle hue differences between scanners and computer monitors.  It will require direct examination by an experienced philatelist to identify the stamps.  I suggest getting in touch with the president of your local stamp club and ask if there is a knowledgeable member who would be willing to take a look at your holdings.  Here's where to find a stamp club in your area:

Good luck!

-Mark Leon

I deal in United States Stamps
American Art Glass
and Halloween Costumes!

Stamps (Philately)

Mark Leon

I am a collector of United States postage stamps, and also a stamp dealer. I`m a member of the American Philatelic Society (APS). My principle area of interest and expertise is in United States Stamps.

I've been selling stamps on the internet since early 1996. I maintain a stamp web page that concentrates on mint US stamps issued generally between 1890 and 2009. I'm an active seller on since 1996, under the user id "mleon". You can find my web page at

I have a Bachelor of Science degree in computer science from the University of Nevada at Las Vegas, 1984.