Stamps (Philately)/Free franked envelope fm Herbert Hoover

Question
I have a free franked envelope from Herbert Hoover, addressed to me, dated 2/6/62 from N.Y., N.Y.

I'm trying to find out if it has any value.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely
Russ Spencer

Answer
Russ,

Free franks fall under the expertise of autograph specialists.  I can tell you that things affecting the value would include when and how.  When being at what point in Hoover's career.  The how is how the signature was made.  Is it a genuine autograph by Hoover?  Was applied by a staff member?  Was it done by auto pen?  Was it applied by printing press?

August 10, 1962 was Hoover's 88th birthday, so the frank is as a retired president.

I recommend that you obtain a scan of the entire cover and a close up of the signature and approach either an autograph expert or a Herbert Hoover expert.  Perhaps the Herbert Hoover Presidential Library can help if there is no one in the expert pool here.

Stamps (Philately)

Bill Lehr