Stamps (Philately)/2 pfennig Germania stamps dating

Question
Hello Mr. Lang: I acquired a full sheet of 2 pfennig Germania Deutches Reich stamps. I have spent the better part of two days searching the internet for accurate information on them. I see that Germania stamps that look like mine were printed from 1905 - 1918. Unused stamps on the internet are identified by the owner with specific dates (1915, 1916), yet I see no difference between the stamps in shading or any marking. How do they know whether the stamp was printed in 1905 or 1915? Also, could you please explain how to count the perforations? Thank you.

Answer
Hi Peter,
I'm not an expert in stamps from Deutsches Reich but can give you some basic information on differences for the 2 Pfennig Germania stamp.
In total there are 4 types.

Type 1 (Michel catalog number 53) / printed 1900 - 1901
color: blue gray, no watermark, Text: REICHSPOST

Type 2 (Michel catalog number 68) / printed from 1902 onwards
color: dark blue gray, no watermark, Text: DEUTSCHES REICH

Type 3 (Michel catalog number 83) / printed from 1905 onwards
color: dark gray, with watermark, Text: DEUTSCHES REICH
This type is the so called "Friedensdruck" (printed in peace before WW I.)
It can be identified by a clear image on shiny paper,
the background is hatched,
the watermark can be seen very clearly, the gum is mat and white.

Type 4 (Michel catalog number 102) / printed from 1918 onwards
color: olive grey, with watermark, Text: DEUTSCHES REICH
This type is the so called "Kriegsdruck" (printed with material of minor quality due to shortage if resources after WW I.)
It can be identified by a not very clear image on mat paper,
the background is plain,
the watermark can not be seen very clearly, the gum is shiny and not clearly white.

In some cases it might be difficult to distinguish between the different types if you have only a single stamp. But if one have examples of different types, differences can be identified very clearly.

Regarding the perforation:
Perforation is measured by the number of holes to 2 cm.
Example: perforation 12 means 12 holes to 2 cm.
If the perforation differs for the horizontal and the vertical format, the horizontal perforation is given first.
Example: perforation 14 1/2:15 means 14 1/2 holes to 2 cm horizontal and 15 holes to 2 cm vertical.

Hope this makes it clear and helps.

Kind regards from Berlin/ Germany
Peter  

Stamps (Philately)

Peter Lang