Stamps (Philately)/Charles A. Lindbergh Limited Edition

Question
I purchased this First Day Cover Set many years ago.  It is encased in a leatherette foldover.  On the left side it has a 1927 24 karat gold electroplate Commemorative Stamp and another of 1977 50th anniversary Commemorative Stamp, produced under a licensing agreement w/ the U.S. Postal Service.  On the right side of the foldover is an envelope postmarked May 20 1977 w/Roosevelt Field Sta, NY.  This envelope is in perfect condition w/ a picture of Lindbergh on the outside and a First Day Issue of the 50th Anniversary stamp of the flight.  The stamp has been franked.  Is this item of value,and to what extent?  Thanks in advance for your reply.  Sincerely, Al Pivnick

Answer
Hello Al,

Thanks for your question.

The true value of what you have is the stamp and the first day of issue cancellation.  The stamp is Scott #1710 and, as you mentioned, it was issued on May 20, 1977.  It currently has a list value of $4.00.

The gold replica stamp is part of a series that were issued by several companies in an attempt to cash in on the popularity of stamp collecting.  The U.S.P.S. never issued gold replica stamps. That being said their list value is speculative.  I have seen these covers retail between $1.00 and $5.00, with $1.50 being the norm.  Some of those gold replica stamps are quite beautiful and I have a few in my collection.

Thanks again for your question and let me know if I can be of any more help.

Terry
P.S.  Please remember to rate my reply to your inquiry.  Appreciate it.  

Stamps (Philately)

Terry Tipton