Stamps (Philately)/documentaty stamps

QUESTION: What is the value of red one cent and 5 cent United States Internal Revenue 1948 stamps? Some of these are in sheets of 100. Are the yellow ones any different in value?

Thank you for considering my questions.

ANSWER: Marjorie,

Fault-free, eye-appealing examples of the one cent 1948 dated red documentary stamp, Scott R486, are valued at 35 cents apiece.  The five cent, Scott R490, are valued at 50 cents each.  I would have to see the yellow stamps in order to identify them before I can relate their current value.

-Mark Leon

I deal in United States Stamps
American Art Glass
and Halloween Costumes!

QUESTION: Where do I go to sell these stamps? How do I go about it?

You could most easily sell your stamps on  There is a category specific to United States Revenue Stamps. Take bright, clear photos and write up a detailed description. You may want to include the story of how you came to possess the stamps, since it will likely help make the sale.  When you ship the stamps, especially the sheets, pack them with stiff cardboard to prevent creasing or damage.  Any kind of damage to stamps greatly reduces their collectible value.

-Mark Leon

I deal in United States Stamps
American Art Glass
and Halloween Costumes!

Stamps (Philately)

Mark Leon

I am a collector of United States postage stamps, and also a stamp dealer. I`m a member of the American Philatelic Society (APS). My principle area of interest and expertise is in United States Stamps.

I've been selling stamps on the internet since early 1996. I maintain a stamp web page that concentrates on mint US stamps issued generally between 1890 and 2009. I'm an active seller on since 1996, under the user id "mleon". You can find my web page at

I have a Bachelor of Science degree in computer science from the University of Nevada at Las Vegas, 1984.