Stamps (Philately)/interrevenue stamp

The stamp orange yellow with George Washington on it.
There are 4 # 5's in a circle separate in inter four corners.
On the bottom of the stamp I believe it says "agreement".  Can you

Hello David,

Thanks for your question.

Revenue stamps were used as a form of receipt for goods received or services rendered.  That particular stamp you have is Scott #R23 and it was issued between 1862 and 1871.  It has a list value today of 50c.

Thanks again for your question and let me know if I can be of any more help.

P.S.  Please remember to rate my reply to your inquiry.  Appreciate it.  

Stamps (Philately)

Terry Tipton

I have been involved in philately for most of my 56 years. I specialize in United States Issues and Postmarks. I have numerous reference sources to research if I do not know the answer. I am organized and promise swift courteous answers. I am a member of the American Philatelic Society. I also have my own philatelic mail order business.

As I mentioned, I have been collecting philatelic items for most of my 56 years. I have several albums of United States issues (most of them are pages I designed myself) and I also have numerous albums of postmarks sorted and researchhed by state.

American Philatelic Society, All Nations Stamp Club and Harford County Stamp Club

Linn's, All Nations Stamp Club Website, and local Newspaper

Board of Directors for Christmas in April 1990-1996