Stamps (Philately)/postcard postage

Mark, I have four (1c,2c,5c,10c) eblems 1 3/8" cicular with the union eblem at the top...1492 on the left and 1892 on the right with United States of America across the top and postage with the denomination across the bottom.  1c is deep blue, 2c is a wine color, 5c is brown and 10c is dark brown.  Is there a classification for these?

What you have are "cut squares" from postal stationery envelopes issued in 1893.  Postal stationery envelopes first appeared in 1853 and continue to be issued today.  Because entire envelopes are bulky and do not readily fit into stamp albums, many collectors (myself included) collect just the upper right corners of the envelopes bearing the postage, which we call cut squares.

Your cut squares are from the Columbus and Liberty issue of 1893 and represent a complete set of the four denominations, designated Scott numbers U348 to U351.  The set in fault-free, eye-appealing condition is valued at $47.50.  Your set appears to be very attractive and collectible.

-Mark Leon

I deal in United States Stamps
American Art Glass
and Halloween Costumes!

Stamps (Philately)

Mark Leon

I am a collector of United States postage stamps, and also a stamp dealer. I`m a member of the American Philatelic Society (APS). My principle area of interest and expertise is in United States Stamps.

I've been selling stamps on the internet since early 1996. I maintain a stamp web page that concentrates on mint US stamps issued generally between 1890 and 2009. I'm an active seller on since 1996, under the user id "mleon". You can find my web page at

I have a Bachelor of Science degree in computer science from the University of Nevada at Las Vegas, 1984.