Stamps (Philately)/stamps

Question
QUESTION: My mother has been collecting stamps since around 1994 these are mostly full sheets and are in mint condition.  She has Georgia O'Keeffe poppy set, Marilyn Monroe, Cival War, Comic strips, dinosaurs,Bugs Bunny,aircraft and many others it would take all day to list.  I am trying to find out the best way to determine the value and interest for this collection.  Thank you in advance for your direction

ANSWER: Hi Lisa,

Thanks for your question.  It's one that comes up often and it is good to review.

Finding the list value of what you have is as close as your nearest library.  Check out Scotts Specialized Catalogue of U.S. Stamps & Covers.  It is considered the "holy bible" of stamp collectors.  In this user friendly book, you can find almost every postage stamp ever issued by the United Sates.  There are pictures to help with identification as well as values for each item in both mint and used conditions.  

A word about values in the book--they are a rough guide as to what you can expect to pay for an item if you went to buy it at a stamp dealer.  Selling that same item to a stamp dealer will generally net you 20% to 30% of the list value depending on condition and demand.

Thanks again for your question and let me know if I can be of any more help

Terry
P.S.  Please remember to rate my reply to your inquiry.  Appreciate it.

QUESTION: What would you value the Georgia O'Keeffe poppy sheet at in mint condition

Answer
Hello again Lisa,

Thanks for your follow up.

That stamp has always been one of my favorites.  It is Scott #3069 and it was issued on May 23, 1996.  It was printed in sheets of 90 and broken down into panes of 15 for general sale to the public.  A sheet of 15, in mint condition, has a list value of $12.50 today.

Thanks again for your question and let me know if I can be of any more help.

Terry
P.S.  Please remembeer to rate my reply to your inquiry.  Appreciate it.  

Stamps (Philately)

Terry Tipton