You are here:

Stamps (Philately)/can't find information on these marks


washington "UN"
washington "UN"  
Can you explain what these small holes are? They appear to be the letters "UN" but are upside down to the orientation of the stamp. I have several that appeared on the same cover. (No longer have the cover but it was quite likely sent overseas.) As you can see, the stamp appears to be Scott #720.

Hi Joshua,

 It is a perf-in, which is an abbreviation used in the hobby for "Perforated Initials".  They were used by businesses as an anti-theft device. If an employee would steal the perfin stamps and use them privately, they would be in big trouble! This is a popular collecting area, and there is a special catalog that lists and prices them (which I do not own).  Nor do I know the name of the company that used "UN".  The fact that they are inverted is not real unusual and generally adds no premium.  Hope this helps.


Stamps (Philately)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


William R. Weiss, Jr.


United States - Virtually any kind of stamp, cover, essay, proof, cancel, covers, etc.


I have my own expertizing service - Weiss Expertizing. See here;

APS (Life member), USSS, UPSS, USPCS, USCC, EFO Club

Many different.

High School

Awards and Honors
Too numerous to list here - I have been exhibiting for over 40 years, so have accumulated lots of awards. Also for books I have written.

Past/Present Clients
Thousands different. We ran Public Auctions for 25+ years and I have been a dealer since 1972.

©2017 All rights reserved.