Stamps (Philately)/can't find information on these marks

Question
washington "UN"
washington "UN"  
Can you explain what these small holes are? They appear to be the letters "UN" but are upside down to the orientation of the stamp. I have several that appeared on the same cover. (No longer have the cover but it was quite likely sent overseas.) As you can see, the stamp appears to be Scott #720.

Answer
Hi Joshua,

It is a perf-in, which is an abbreviation used in the hobby for "Perforated Initials".  They were used by businesses as an anti-theft device. If an employee would steal the perfin stamps and use them privately, they would be in big trouble! This is a popular collecting area, and there is a special catalog that lists and prices them (which I do not own).  Nor do I know the name of the company that used "UN".  The fact that they are inverted is not real unusual and generally adds no premium.  Hope this helps.

Bill

Stamps (Philately)

William R. Weiss, Jr.