Stamps (Philately)/25 Cent Savings Stamps

I just found a book of "25 Cent Savings Stamps" in my deceased mother's effects.  It has $6.25 worth of stamps inside. the stamps are red, white and blue, Blue border with "25" and "United States" on each side "Cents" at the bottom.  In the center is a red "Minuteman" with the US Flag in the background. Would you know the approximate dates these stamps were available. I understand that when you filled the booklet with $18.75 cents of stamps, you could redeem them for a $25 Savings Bond.  Thank You for any historical information you might be able to give.

Hello Don,

Thanks for your question.

First, my condolences on the loss of your mom.  My mom passed away in 2005 and I miss her a lot and still think of her daily.  

As for the stamps, you have either war savings stamps or postal savings stamps.  Both worked in similar fashion.  People would buy these stamps at a post office and paste them in a book, like the you you have there.  When the book was full, you could redeem it in the form of a savings bond at the post office.  The post office discontinued the programs back in the late 1960's to early 1970's.

The value of the stamps you have are minimal (25 to 30 cents each).  The book adds little value other than desirability to a collector.  If you don't collect stamps yourself, I suggest saving these and showing them to any children you may have.  Another idea is to display them in a small frame in a den or family room.  They make great conversation pieces as not too many people have heard of these stamps before.

Thanks again for your question and let me know if I can be of any more help.

P.S. Please remember to rate my reply to your inquiry.  Appreciate it.  

Stamps (Philately)

Terry Tipton

I have been involved in philately for most of my 56 years. I specialize in United States Issues and Postmarks. I have numerous reference sources to research if I do not know the answer. I am organized and promise swift courteous answers. I am a member of the American Philatelic Society. I also have my own philatelic mail order business.

As I mentioned, I have been collecting philatelic items for most of my 56 years. I have several albums of United States issues (most of them are pages I designed myself) and I also have numerous albums of postmarks sorted and researchhed by state.

American Philatelic Society, All Nations Stamp Club and Harford County Stamp Club

Linn's, All Nations Stamp Club Website, and local Newspaper

Board of Directors for Christmas in April 1990-1996